Saturday, June 30

#171 - milk in glass bottles









As a child I always had fantasies about milk in glass bottles arriving on our front doorstep in the morning.
For me, the allure of the milkman was much more than Santa ever held.
Though he never appeared- meaning he had no relevance except in conversations about the 'old days', and didn't erupt any sustainable period of obsession from me. 
Though in all my playing, households of dolls always had milk delivered, and the milkman was always cheery. 

Even though now I'm not a massive fan of milk - I have a feeling milk stored this way would taste much nicer. Visually, if anything - delivered or not.

So, to go back pre-1960...
The Little Big Company has party glass ware in the form of mini milk bottles, you can get an old-school crate of bottles at Larkmade, with stripy paper straws to boot... Etsy is pretty wonderful as always - have a looky here at deesattictreasures or search for yours here. If you live in America or Britain, you have Oberweis or Hook & Son will deliver to you in glass bottles - though for Australians unfortunately I have nothing easy to find. (Someone please tell me if you know of a company that does?). And finally, slightly off topic - an ode to milk glass, and this 'cookie loves milk' shirt from Threadless.

. . .
images - above text: via weheartit: set: 1001ways, below: as linked. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aha this is a little odd for me because I still do have milk delivered in glass bottles to my doorstep.

Toots said...

Ah brilliant. glad to hear its still alive somewhere...

Anonymous said...

I love milk in glass bottles - I used to work for a dairy farm and collected a bunch. Lovely post!